Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:20:19 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        Steve VanDevender <stevev@darkwing.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail.mc

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 10:48:54AM -0700, Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Daniel C. Sobral writes:
>
>  > MMmmmm... I looked into Solaris 7, and could not find a way to
>  > rebuild the whole system with the options and compilation flags I
>  > wanted. I guess they must do things a little bit different, eh?
>
> The point is that you _can_ build a customized sendmail configuration
> file in Solaris 7 with the base OS distribution, which is much more
> common than wanting to build a customized binary.  We're using the
> stock FreeBSD sendmail binary, but needed to change various things
> in the configuration file to suit the needs of the mail system we're
> running.  Updating from FreeBSD 3.2 to 4.0 stomped on that customized
> configuration, without any warning that was apparent to us, and we
> didn't find out until one of the other admins noticed that it was no
> longer building the proper alias databases.
>
> Fortunately I had insisted on keeping around my own copy of the
> sendmail 8.9.3 distribution with our customized .mc template in it, so
> I could quickly rebuild and install the .cf we wanted.

All you need to do is set "SENDMAIL_CF= custom.cf" in /etc/make.conf
and create 'custom.mc' in /usr/src/etc/sendmail. Then in the
/usr/src/etc/sendmail directory do a 'make && make install', restart
sendmail and you have your custom configuration that will not get
overwritten. Even if the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file got overwritten by
mistake, you could just do the make procedure again.

It sounds like you may have done a binary upgrade, as opposed to a 'make
world' upgrade when you went from FreeBSD 3.2 to 4.0 in which case your
/etc directory should have been backed up. The update procedure would
tell you where. At least that is the way it worked when I last did that
type of upgrade.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@bayouhome.net