Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:31:05 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man displays pages twice!

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> probably said:
> Hummm... hey mpp, is this the functionality that we talked about
> that Berkeley man had in that it would show you all sections of
> the manual that had a page by the same name gone haywire in GNU's
> version of man???

> This may be a bugger up of the proper man behavior that works in
> the Berkeley man command that was retired to the attic many years
> ago in that if the arg to man exists in more than one section of
> the man pages it is suppose to display all the so named man pages.
>
> An example is ``man man'' which _should_ show you man1/man and
> man7/man, but only shows you man1/man.  I'll bet 90% of users
> don't even know that man7/man exists... due to this bug...

Thats what `man -k man` and `man 7 man` are for. Personally I'd much
rather it display one page and indeed this is the documented default
behaviour;

     -a          By default, man will exit after displaying the first manual
                 page it finds.  Using this option forces man to display all
                 the manual pages that match name, not just the first.

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu