Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2007 05:17:19 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mailman setup

On Friday 13 April 2007 02:57:49 you wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 11:44:03 Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> > On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:56 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> > > I am trying to setup mailman and am using apache22 with a number of
> > > virtual
> > > servers. All the virtual server roots are located on a seperate
> > > physical
> > > drives with the path to the root
> > > being /usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/
> > >
> > > After =A0installed from /usr/ports/mail/mailman I find I have the
> > > mailman =A0files
> > > in /usr/local/mailman.
> > >
> > > I am puzzled about what files are meant to be placed in the path of
> > > the server
> > > root..(presumably my_virtual_server_name/mailman). I have looked at
> > > docs but
> > > if there is info on this I have failed to find it. =A0Should I have
> > > compiled
> > > with prefix=3D/usr2/virtualwebs/my_virtual_server_name/ or should
> > > this be in
> > > some config file?
> >
> > The short answer is apache's Alias and ScriptAlias directives.
> >
> > Here's a bit of mine
> >
> > =A0 ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
> > =A0 Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
> > =A0 Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"
> >
> > Take a look at
> >
> > =A0 /usr/local/share/doc/mailman/FreeBSD-post-install-notes
> >
> > That tell you the kind of thing that you need to do to configure
> > apache to find these things. =A0It will also point you to other mailman
> > installation material in that directory.
> >
> > Below is a larger excerpt from my /usr/local/etc/apache22/extras/
> > httpd-vhosts.conf
> >
> > ## lists.shepard-families.org
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> > DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/apache22/data/lists.shepard-families.org/
> > ServerName lists.shepard-families.org
> > ServerAdmin webmaster@goldmark.org
> > AddDefaultCharset utf-8
> > ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
> > Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
> > Alias /icons "/usr/local/mailman/icons"
> > CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists.shepard-families.org-access_log
> > combined
> > <Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/>
> > =A0 =A0AllowOverride None
> > =A0 =A0Options +ExecCGI -Includes
> > =A0 =A0Order allow,deny
> > =A0 =A0Allow from all
> > </Directory>
> > <Directory /usr/local/mailman/icons>
> > =A0 =A0order allow,deny
> > =A0 =A0allow from all
> > </Directory>
> > <Directory /usr/local/mailman/archives/>
> > =A0 =A0Options +FollowSymLinks
> > =A0 =A0order allow,deny
> > =A0 =A0allow from all
> > </Directory>
> >
> > Ideally, it would be nice if the port deposited a sample
> > configuration file in /usr/local/etc/apache-VERSION/Includes
> >
> > But I don't know how to do that with all of =A0the different apache
> > ports (which, I believe, differ in how they organize the
> [...]

Another query..
After making the modifications I have had the following apache error:

[root@dns1 /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin]# /usr/local/sbin/apachectl restart
Syntax error on line 26 of /usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes/virtualhosts.co=
nf:
Invalid command '\xa0', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not inclu=
ded=20
in the server configuration
httpd not running, trying to start

<Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI -Includes
=A0 =A0Order allow,deny =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0<line 26
=A0 =A0Allow from all
</Directory>

I have tried commenting out =A0the line =A0and eventually the whole block b=
ut=20
still the error persists BUT always the reported error line coincides with=
=20
Order allow,deny
Can anyone point me to a solution.

Thanks