Date:      07 Oct 2002 08:22:55 -0700
From:      Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
Cc:        cjcarri@earthlink.net
Subject:   startx crashes for non-root users on  Free86 4.2.0/FreeBSD 4.6

Hello all,
   I have an old PC (266 MHz PII, 64 MB ram, 4.3Gig drive,S3 Virge PCI
video card, Compaq 1024 15" monitor) that I use as an intranet server.
In the past I've installed and run FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.4 on it with no
real trouble. I just installed FreeBSD 4.6 (iso's downloaded from
www.linuxiso.org . Yes, I checked the md5sums!)

I had a couple of problems with the FreeBSD 4.6 install. First, the X
configuration failed during the automated installation - and during my
two subsequent attempts at fresh re-installs. I then dug out my copy of
"The FreeBSD Handbook" and, running as root, successfully configured X
and KDE 3 manually by editing XF86Config and .xinitrc .

I now have one remaining big problem: while "startx" works perfectly
when I log in as root, it crashes if I am logged in as a regular user.
Here are the error messages: