Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:50:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Conny Andersson <ataraxi@telia.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD slices and the Boot Manager

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:18:39 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I'm following you correctly. The sysinstall program
>>> is considered obsolete, the new system installer is bsdinstall.
>>
>> AFAIK, sysinstall is still used in FreeBSD 8.X, and bsdinstall does not
>> have a boot manager option anyway.
>
> Sometimes I'm confusing them, because I usually don't use the
> installer and usually use fdisk (if needed), bsdlabel and
> newfs. :-)

gpart does a lot more than both fdisk and bsdlabel, and is easier to
use. :)

>> Sorry, I don't understand this at all.  AHCI should not be involved with
>> identifying slices.
>
> Maybe the required device driver is not part of the 8.x
> GENERIC kernel? So for example a drive could come up either
> as /dev/ada0 or as /dev/ad6, depending on how the recognition
> order and PATA / SATA thing is handled by the system and
> its BIOS.

Really, it should always be ada, unless someone has built a custom
kernel that intentionally uses the old form.  That's usually a mistake.
(AHCI is a separate, unrelated thing.)

> Labels will work independently from wheather the device will be
> recognized as ATA disk (for example /dev/ad6s1a being the root disk)
> or SATA disk (where /dev/ada6s1 would be the root disk).

Yes.  Labels don't care about the hardware connection.  So they'll
continue to work when you take a drive out of a machine and put it in a
USB enclosure, for example.