Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 1996 01:26:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Time Server Setup - xntpd

On 01:51:50 Doug White wrote:
>>On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, David Kelly wrote:
>
>> May I also suggest saving your drift file? Add the following to
>> /etc/ntp.config:
>>
>> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
>
>What does that buy me?  (curiosity)

As I understand, it saves the calibration it has learned, and starts
with the same calibration the next time xntpd starts. Should save
some work getting back into sync.

I leave xntpd running when I drop my PPP connection because it
continues to apply its corrections to the clock but knows not to
alter the drift values. This way my clock is within 500ms when I
reconnect the next day. Otherwise its about 8 seconds/day off.

Have to kill the old xntpd when my IP address changes as its
not smart enough to follow dynamic IP addresses.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)