Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:31:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help making upgrade patches

Hello all:)

I'm taking on a project to make it possible to do binary upgrades on
-stable without having to make installworld.

What I have in mind is this:

1) determine which files have actually changed for RELENG_X from
date-of-last-update to now.

2) Have a script tarball up those files into a ready-to-install tarball.

3) (later) develop some routines to handle the config file
issues.  cfengine may be a starting point for this.

The goal is to have a single machine able to keep a whole bunch of servers
at multiple server farms up to date.

I have a good handle on how to implement #1 and make it available via an
http request to the general public.  IE, anyone can ask for the changes
for RELENG_4 from .0Release until 6/15/2000, or the changes from 4/10/2000
(date of last cvsup) until now.

My questions are:

a) Exactly what to check for changes in /usr/obj.  I thought /usr/obj was
a current copy of "everything" for the OS proper, but /usr/obj/usr/src/etc
on my system has only a sendmail directory.

b) How to tell whether a new kernel is really required.  Changes to the
/sys tree aren't really adequate - changing comments in a header file
doesn't require rebuilding the kernel.  Changing the data structure of a
process certainly does.  IP stack improvements would.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

--- David