Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:55:15 -0200 (BRST)
From:      Edson Brandi <ebrandi.listas@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Testbed helping on FreeBSD Live CD tool set needed. :)

Hello Gentlemen,

For about 3 months FUGSPBR (FreeBSD Users Group, Sao Paulo, Brazil) has
been testing and working on the LiveCD, that consists basically on the
last -STABLE version of FreeBSD on a single compact disk.

LiveCD can he ran on any hardware supported by FreeBSD with a single cdrom
device and some amount of memory, since it runs the file system on MFS. The
original goal of this cd came from a particular need of always holding a
functional FreeBSD OS for supporting purposes.

Soon it became a considerable idea for testing hardware compatibilty, a
good rescue disk for every-day needs and even an emergencial desktop. The
freebsd user group ideas resulted on some versions on the limit what could
fill a single 650mb CD, containing since a firewall/bridge/pccards and
other stuff kernel, to even KDE2, blackbox, wm with X11 supporting
most VESA video cards.

The latest ISO image on a complete and functional LiveCD based in FreeBSD
4.4 can be found at http://ftp.unicamp.br/pub/FreeBSD-LiveCD/ , we use
this CD in our promotional events, with this CD is possible run a FreeBSD
Desktop (XFree86 + KDE), without install any file in HD.

I guess it became a little popular, but we had limitations like... kernel
size limits and other users ideas concerning what would fit better for their
need. But now... with some new features on FreeBSD 4.5 we are about to make
things better. Some limits where sent to /dev/null with the new code of
cdboot, and we have done some set of scripts what allows anyone to  populate
their own iso image and own LiveCD. So, the best LiveCD is the one we make for
ourselves :)

Thats why i am writing you... the complete Tool Set for the LiveCD is
avaible at http://www.primeirospassos.org/livecd-1.0.tgz. (25KB). It is a
set of scripts and files for creating a FreeBSD LiveCD. Consists of 19 files.
2 shell scripts and some patches. What patches? The main ones: some adds
(like ipfirewall support, vesa, etc) and stuff necessary on the livecd
(like union option, new rootdevname...) for the GENERIC kernel, and specially a
patch for /etc/rc what intends to mount /dev , /etc , var, etc in  MFS and
recognize all avaiable partitions at an IDE disk on your machine (fat, ntfs,
ufs, ext2fs) and mount them automatically.

You may also want to try he virtual node disk possibilities. You can use
existing disk partitions to allow new and permanent applications install,
as easy as configuration and data savings on a writable disk, since the cdrom
is read only. Helps a lot under any enviroment where you have other o.s. installed
but can not, or do not want to have a freebsd dedicated partition.

Well, the tool set is pretty functional at our testing beds, but it was
not exaustly tested, thats why i would like to invite you all to try the scripts.

Remember, you must have your /usr/src sincronized with the 4.5-RC source
tree. ;) This tool set will only work on 4.5 and above.  You will need about 2GB
free space under /usr too.

The scripts are commented in portuguese language, but thats nothing you can not
understando by simply reading it. The shell script is very clear understanding.

I would like to ask for a feedback by who try it :) It important @ most.

I thank you all, in advance,
Best Regards

Edson Brandi - ebrandi.home@uol.com.br