Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:35:54 +0200
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        "freebsd@top-consulting.net" <freebsd@top-consulting.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FS of choice for max random iops ( Maildir )

On 16. sep. 2011, at 12:31, freebsd@top-consulting.net wrote:
> Right now I defined an entire array of 8TB ( all 16 disks ) separated in t=
wo pieces. 50 GB for FreeBSD to boot and the rest available to configure as s=
torage.

ZFS will want to write to it's ZIL (zfs intent log) before writing to the fi=
nal location of the data. Even if you're not waiting for the ZIL-write to di=
sk (because of the controller ram), those writes will probably make it throu=
gh to disk. That gives you twice as many writes to disk, and a lot more seek=
.=20

If you want to take zfs for a proper spin, I'd like to sugget adding two sma=
ll SSDs to the setup, mirrored by zfs. You can use those both for the ZIL, a=
nd also as cache, for the array. That's a fairly small investment these days=
, and I would be surprised if it didn't significantly improve performance, b=
oth for your benchmark, and real load.=20

Note: you might be in trouble if you loose your ZIL, thus the doubling up. I=
 *think* you can SSD a cache without risking dataloss, but don't take my wor=
d for it.=20

Terje=