Date:      Fri, 28 May 2010 12:11:10 +0200
From:      David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        Matthias Andree <mandree@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port request

2010/5/26 Matthias Andree <mandree@freebsd.org>:
> Am 26.05.2010 14:19, schrieb Jesse Smith:
>> I was told that requests for new ports should be submitted here. There's
>> one tool which I would like to see brought into the Ports system and
>> that's Network Manager
>> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager)
>>
>> It's the only networking tool I've found so far which will properly
>> handle my Novatel mobile modem and I would really like to be able to
>> make use of the modem while running FreeBSD.
>
> Hi Jesse,
>
> Network Manager (NM) will just automate steps you can do with other means=
, too.
> It is not doing magic of any kind, and chances are your modem needs firmw=
are
> that is available for Linux but not for FreeBSD, but I know nothing about=
 your
> Novatel device.
>
> Regarding a FreeBSD port:
>
> (a) NM needs major porting efforts, and is an open, non-trivial, project =
of the
> GNOME team, see <http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/volunteer.html>;
>
> (b) I personally find that NM is an abomination that - particularly on La=
ptops -
> causes more problems than it could possibly solve for me.
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0I routinely deinstall NetworkManager from openSUSE, Fedora, =
and Ubuntu Linux
> distributions, because it frequently fails to configure WPA2-Enterprise w=
ith
> EAP-TLS or EAP-TTLS, fails to detect online state (making several applica=
tions
> start in offline mode or refuse to even attempt to connect), fails to con=
figure
> hidden 802.11 (WiFi/WLAN) networks, and causes other artifacts I don't ha=
ve
> without NM.
>
> I'd personally also say Network Manager needs upstream bugfixing much mor=
e than
> a port. Haven't tried Fedora 13 "Goddard" yet though.

I agree, personally I would prefer a wpa_supplicant / dhclient
graphical user interface instead of the sucky NetworkManager. For the
moment there is sysutils/wifimgr iirc but it's a quite unstable.

wpa_supplicant does everything, scanning for access points
automatically even you don't have X running, all WPA means of
associations, it's just perfect.

--=20
Demelier David