Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:10:19 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        DARBY1@x400.telkom400.inca.za (RYAN DARBY)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummies guide to freebsd ?

E-mail message from RYAN DARBY contained:

> Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but I am a novice strugling in
> the dark!

Please excuse me if I repeat the obvious things: you asked "for dummies",
right?

> I finally managed to get BSD installed.  I had /usr too small and / too
> big.  Is /usr mentioned in the install the directory /usr as a subdirectory
> of / on the disk?  And is the / in the install /root on the  disk?

Well, UNIX has only one, all encompassing directory tree.  But, you can
mount other disks into it, and then their directory trees appear to be
below the directory where you have mounted them--this is normally done.

The root of the tree is /.  / is the volume which is always implicitly
mounted by the kernel itself on boot.  For FreeBSD, 20 MB / volume
should do.

As far as /usr is concerned, it can physically be on / volume, but
people usually use some other volume and mount it as /usr.  Same for
/var, /home, /usr/local, /you/name/it ...

Of course, if you wish to have /usr physically on the / volume, your
/ volume has to be bigger in order to accommodate /usr subtree.

> Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> wrong to get out of it?

Yes.  Very wrong, indeed.  You should shut the machine down prior to power
down.  The easiest way to do that on a standalone PC is CTRL-ALT-DEL
(i.e. keyboard machine reset, you know, three-finger-salute :)

You should do that on a console without X running on it.  To switch to one
of these from X use CTRL-ALT-F1 (that will put you in boot console,
probably the best one for shutdown as all system messages normally appear
there.)

If you just power off, you risk losing your data (disk writes are delayed
and your data may still be in RAM at the moment of power-down.)

Don't ever just power-off, unless you really have to (machine is hanging,
keyboard is in funny state, you want to recover some inodes, whatever)!

> Also, is there perhaps a FAQ or giude to BSD on the internet that is
> intended for total begginers such as myself?  I am battling along in a
> small desert town with nothing but Win95 for 500Km around me!

There is a Handboook at http://www.freebsd.org   Most of your questions
are answered there.

Also, if you can find a simple book on UNIX, go for it :)

/Marino