Date:      Thu,  4 Feb 1999 09:10:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Adauto Souza <adauto@df.ufpe.br>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

Adauto Souza writes:
 > I have got four AlphaPC 164LX stations, 533 MHz,
 > running redhat Linux.
 >
 > I am looking for help to install FreeBSD on
 > my machines.
 >
 > I've tried to install both FreeBSD and OpenBSD but
 > I face problems with the BIOS. Indeed the machines
 > have Alpha BIOS instead SRM. The present configuration
 > is able to run both Linux (running right now) and
 > Windows NT. Under Linux the system starts from MILO.
 >
 > Do anybody out there know how can I overcome this
 > problem?

Here are instructions.  They assume you purchased the systems with SRM
and they were accidentally shipped with the AlphaBios (or else you
might be violating a license).  You may want to verify that you have a
failsafe-loader bootable floppy available in case something goes wrong
(like you loose power in the middle of the flash):

o find 'lx164srm.rom' somewhere on the internet.  European Digital
mirror sites have it.

o copy this file onto an MS-DOS formatted floppy

o boot the machine in AlphaBios.

o select 'Upgrade AlphaBios' from the setup menu

It should tell you that its loading the SRM console, and ask if you
want to flash it.  It will complain bitterly about not being able to
run NT anymore (darn!).  Tell it yes.  When its done, power-cycle the
box.

o your next boot will be into the SRM console

o you may want to upgrade to the latest revision of the console at
this point.

Good luck.