Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:58:01 -0800
From:      Steve Shah <sshah@clickarray.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Shekhar Dora <shekhar_dora@hotmail.com>, jobs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resume for Your Perusal

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:24:43AM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> I have always wondered why anyone would send a M$ .doc format

Because (sadly) most HR types will end up asking for it in .doc
anyway. My solution has been to send a straight text version and
a HTML version. I tell HR types to just load the HTML version
into Word which does load and present it the way I meant it too.

The hot tip here is to maintain your resume in hand written HTML.
This gets converted to text nicely by lynx -dump. Add Makefile,
stir well. If you want to be a bad-ass, you can maintain your
resume in latex, use tth to convert it to html and then lynx -dump
to make it text. The latex will compile to postscript and pdf
directly. Ka-chink! 4 formats, one source file. And you can use
cvs to version control it... (Seeing a $Id$ tag in someone's
resume is always a good sign from a technical point of view...)

For text mail client users, you can also read .doc files the fun
way by piping them to |strings|more. Unless they went ballistic
with formatting, you can get the meat out of it quickly this way.
If they were foolish to allow Fast-Save on their document, you
can also see diffs which has proven to be very educational for
me in the past... Then you can scare them by printing out the
raw strings with |strings|enscript and bring that to the interview.
("What happened to the formatting of my resume?!" -- "Umm, it
looked like that when we got it. Word must have screwed it up.")

-Steve