Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:05:03 -0400
From:      Shane Dixon <warriorx99@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound problems in X

I own a Digital HiNote VP 765 that I'm trying to get the sound working
on.  The sound chip is Crystal Sound CS4237B.  I recompiled my kernel
with:

device pcm
options PNPBIOS

This is the only way I can get anything to show up.  The PNPBIOS seems
like it must be in there.  In dmesg output, I get:

unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq
1,0 on isa0
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources

I followed the handbook and made sure to do the following commands:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV snd0

 From the console, I can run both cdcontrol and mpg123 with no problems.
  The sound works great.  I can play CDs and when I use mpg123 the mp3
plays just fine and I can use control-c to exit.

The problem comes when I run X (my preferred wm is WindowMaker if that
makes a difference).  I can open up an xterm and still play CDs with
cdcontrol.  Whenever I try to play an MP3 in xmms, it locks up my whole
machine immediately and I have to force a shutdown to get out of it.  I
can play CDs in xmms just fine.  It's only MP3s that kill it.

What really has me confused is that I can use mpg123 in X to play an
mp3.  The mp3 starts up and plays just fine, but the moment I press
control-c to exit, it locks up my machine just as xmms does.  I'm very
confused about what could be causing all this.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

**Shane**