Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:18:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, hosokawa@jp.freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

> > Don't forget:
> >
> >  - A "card services" utility to "preunload" cards; many cards are not
> >    happy with an unplug (the MS docuemnts and Intel documents go
> >    over this in great, gory detail).
>
> Yeah, but in reality Win95 'handles' most every card I've thrown at it
> fine, although it whines alot.  In any case, this is already done by the
> Nomads (it's an X appliation).

I was more worried about non-network PCMCIA cards.  Examples might
be on of:

o	Adaptec SCSI controller PCMCIA card and all attached
	SCSI devices.

o	Flash RAM card with mounted FS on it, with some FS data
	in cache and needing to be flushed.

o	Mounted hard drives located in the dock, in the case
	where the machine is about to be undocked.

o	Etc.

The network cards aren't nearly as bad; most the the network code
was born being tolerant of intermittent connections.

Yeah, I'm paranoid.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---