Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:17:09 +0200
From:      Gerald Heinig <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Spelling etc.

Hi guys,

I always thought spelling was a non-issue for hackers. It seems I was
wrong. It also seems to me to be an absolutely trivial problem of
whether or not we authorise or authorize, since the meaning is quite
clear. What an enormous number of people canīt seem to grasp is the
difference between:

The dog wagged its tail (*NOT* itīs tail!!!)

and

Itīs cold today (ie. It is cold today)

Or stuff like:

....the variables are passed to the function and there values are
changed.

Does this mean:

...the variables are passed to the function and there, inside the
function, *their* values are changed...

or does it mean

...the variables are passed to the function, and inside  the function
some other, unconnected variables are changed...

Iīve come across quite a few examples like those above and sometimes it
really does change the meaning of the sentence. The only way to work out
what the author meant is to write a test program to check.

Apart from numerous occasions where misleading documentation has caused
hours of pointless experimentation, making really *basic* spelling
mistakes gives a product a very tacky feel. The idea is: if they canīt
even get simple spelling right, whatīs their code going to look like?

Keep up the good work

Gerald