Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 23:16:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Rich Payne <rdp@talisman.alphalinux.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alpha List <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Daniel J. Frasnelli" <dfrasnel@csee.wvu.edu>, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, Stefan.Esser@o-tel-o.de
Subject:   Re: your mail

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9904241522530.28665-100000@herring.nlsystems.com> Doug Rabson writes:
: I believe that Stefan contacted both Samsung and DeskStation to try to get
: programming information with no luck. I think Samsung asked for an NDA and
: I'm not sure if DeskStation even replied.  Stefan would know for sure;
: since I don't think he reads this list, I have Cc'ed him.

Good luck getting information out of DeskStation.  They tend to swing
from being almost a little helpful to being completely unhelpful and
unresponsive.  They provided me with almost no help in the way of
specs and the like for the rPC44 port of OpenBSD/Linux I did.
However, the support they did give me was enough to get things up and
crawling.  I'll give you the entire sum of the support:
	The ISA bus is memory mapped at 0xa0000000.  The ISA ports
	are memory mapped at 0xb0000000.  It is basically a PC MOBO
	with a mips processor bolted on.

I had no better luck calling them directly.  However, they say on
their website they support Linux, and are looking for a Linux OS
engineer (but they have been looking for at least the past year, so
maybe their website is on auto-pilot).

Ironically, I did get mail from them asking me for help installing
OpenBSD/arc on their systems!  After giving them the help, I never
heard back from them.  I don't think the person who I was working with
is there anymore.

Warner