Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:56:54 -0700
From:      Jens Haeusser <jens@zoology.ubc.ca>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Porting dump -F from Linux

Is anyone interested in porting the -F flag for dump from Linux? From the
Linux man page-

     -F script
         Run script at the end of each tape. The device name and the current
         volume number are passed on the command line.  The script
         must return 0 if dump should continue without asking the user to
         change the tape, 1 if dump dump should continue but ask the user
         to change the tape.  Any other exit code will cause dump to
         abort.  For security reasons, dump reverts back to the real user
         ID and the real group ID before running the script.

This would really simplify my dump scripts- I'm currently having to use
expect to read from dump when to change tapes on my autoloader, but it's not
working so well. The source code for Linux dump is available from
http://dump.sourceforge.net . Unfortunately I'm not a coder, otherwise I'd
volunteer to do this myself, but this seems like a very useful option that
many people would use.

Jens Haeusser
Network Manager,
Zoology, UBC