Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 22:04:42 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>, "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bay Networks Baystack 650 Wireless LAN

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:09:17PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> I have a bunch of fixes for the Aironet stuff.  Still need to do some=20
> more work but I cleaned up the read and write functions.  They should be
> a little faster and deal with with odd size transfers.  I also included
> your ifocnfig patches in my and made an include file to turn them one
> and off.  This way I could resolve merge conflicts.

Any reason you need to turn them off now that read and write are fixed?
If not, then I'll just roll yours into my tree so I pull them out in my
standard patchset.

> Are your BPF changes for better snooping to deal with 802.11 stuff?
> Ethereal can deal with 802.11 packets.  Linux has some feature
> to be able to connect Ethereal to the raw 802.11 packets for sniffing.
> Part of the code to support this is being added to the Linux driver.
> For FreeBSD I was thinking of tying the raw 802.11 packets into=20
> Netgraph and then tie Netgraph into Ethereal and then we could sniff
> 802.11 packets from the Aironet cards.  The Aironet code is to enable
> the sniffing is fairly easy.  If we do this in general then other=20
> cards such as the wi ones could tie into Netgraph the same way and
> just work.  Also if Ethereal was taught about frame relay that would
> just work as well.

My idea is that you should be able to set and ioctl to choose which
level of decapsilation bpf reports (and, if possiable, sends) at.  If we
can send and recieve probe and response messages we can both search for
APs better and watch for other people looking for our APs.

-- Brooks

--=20

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--