Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:49:08 -0600
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        Michael Aronsen <mar@netcentralen.dk>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fingerprint authentication?

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On 23-Mar-2001, Michael Aronsen wrote:
> Has anyone been working on or know of any work being done on getting any
> fingerprint gadgets working in FreeBSD?

This is mostly off-topic, but I wanted to take the opportunity to point
out an excellent treatment of the downsides of biometrics (fingerprint
gadgets being the most popular such device these days) and concerns that
you should be aware of if you're considering adopting biometrics for
authentication in your environment.

Inside Risks 110, Communications of the ACM, vol 42, n 8, Aug 1999
"Biometrics: Uses and Abuses" by Bruce Schneier

http://www.counterpane.com/insiderisks1.html

--=20
|nugget@slacker.com|been encrypted using dual rounds of ROT-13 encryption|
|Austin, TX USA    |Please encrypt all important correspondence with PGP!|

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--