Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 08:51:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>, FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card with TCP stack built in

The thing is, though, that IP is generally not the bottleneck. The other
processes within the server are.

Note that, in order to show off their board's performance, the makers of
the card had to run raw data transfers -- no processing done on the data
at all. The moment you add something like Web service, Sendmail, or
whatever, the limiting factor is no longer the IP stack, if it ever was.
(And whether it EVER was still depends on a number of factors. I could
imagine a TCP/IP card being SLOWER than a dumb NIC, or even dropping
connections, if it ran short on memory.)

--Brett Glass