Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:06:24 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with a sendmail error

Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >       I keep getting the following errors from sendmail (the messages sent by
> > the system). I think (know) I've messed up something in the /etc/rc*
> > files when I (temporarily) changed the hostname, IP address, and domain
> > to use my machine on the network at work and then changed it back for
> > dial-up use. What have I cocked-up??. The machines hostname is marder-1
>
> put an entry for marder-1 into /etc/hosts.

There is one:

127.0.0.1  marder-1  localhost  loghost

Someone else replied (but didn't CC: to -questions) and said to check
/etc/resolv.conf. This was the problem, when I'd changed the nameserver entries
back to my ISP's I'd put the ISP domain name in there as well, which of course
it not accessible when not on-line. All seems to be OK now

Thanks for replying.

CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |
Radan Computational Ltd     | of the Roman Empire was, that      |
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com   | lacking a zero, they had no way of |
                            | indicating the successful          |
                            | termination of their C programs    |