Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:15:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD chpass (fwd)

> On 2000-10-05, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> wrote:
>
> > > On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 10:47:15AM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> > > Except you can still just mount a doctored copy over the top of it
>
> > Actually, now that I think about it, this can be detered to a certain
> > point.  If you're running with securelevel >= 2, you can't load KLDs,
> > and you can't run newfs.  What would you mount?  A vn device?  Nope,
> > unless the KLD is already loaded.  A floppy?  If you have physical
>
> Perhaps this is a stupid question, but why is mount particularly needed at
> high securelevels?  So long as unmount(2) can be called by shutdown
> scripts.  Hm... remounting / ro before halt/reboot perhaps... but perhaps
> that behavior could be straightforward-ly special cased?  It's not like
> mount(2) is a hot path =)  And/or, disallow mounts to mount points which
> are not regular, empty directories, if securelevel >= 2?  What legit uses
> (that could not be learned around by an admin) would this break?

Disallowing mounts altogether will break on-request mounting of
volumes by things like amd(8), which is quite important, IMO.
Disallowing mounts on non-empty directories and other "irregular"
files is another story.  While there are some legitimate uses for
this, they are far less common.

Regards

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"War doesn't determine who's right, it determines who's left."
        -- Confuscious