Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:16:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Another Serious libc_r problem

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:03:22 -0700 (PDT), Jason Evans wrote:
>
> >Hmm, your test case is very similar to some code that was causing deadlock
> >for me.  However, I boiled it down to the following code as being the
> >actual bug.  We may be seeing the same thing (but maybe not; I haven't had
> >time to dig into this all the way).
> >
> >Jason
>
> I think the problem in your code is that you expect to be able to recursively
> lock a mutex in the same thread, using the default mutex type.  I don't
> think this is a bug, since the "default" mutex type is implementation
> defined, if I'm not mistaken.

Did you actually run the code?  The point I was trying to make is that the
code does _not_ deadlock for the default (fast mutex).  I'm not sure that
this is a bug, but it is different than the behavior I've seen on other
systems.  Can someone say whether this is allowed by the POSIX spec?

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(415) 808-8742]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]