Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:35:58 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, "Evren Yurtesen" <yurtesen@ispro.net>
Subject:   Re: whois weirdness...

This is a side effect of the "balkiization" or more accurately, destruction,
of the
global whois database as a result of the fragmentation of domain name
registrations.

Registries are required to share whois data - but the requirements are
vague.  And
all the registries hate each other because they think that all the others
are going to suck down
their whois databases and use them for mass-mailings to try to steal
customers.  So
they bend over backwards to violate the spirit of whois data sharing if not
the letter
of the requirements.

Ted