Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 12:56:20 +0100
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with ppp

I have some ppp related problems. They started somewhere near
4.6-RELEASE. I was able to run my ISDN-modem in multilink ppp
mode with 128 kbit/s, until June somewhere.

I didn't realize until recently that it was FreeBSD's fault.
I thought it was the other end Cisco 3640 that had some para-
meters wrongly set. But we've made thorough tests with diffe-
rent systems connecting to the 3640, with same result every-
where. It WORKS with dual lines from several different modems
and all types of M$ OS-es.

But FreeBSD (currently running 4.7-STABLE as of a week back)
connects fine with both lines. Transfers start at 128 kbit
for approx 5-10 seconds. Then it times out for anything between
5 to 60 seconds. Then there is a new burst at 128 kbit, and so on.

Effective bit rate is approx 20 kbit/s after a long transfer.

The modem I run is ZyXEL Elite 2864i, and when it runs in single
link mode it runs perfectly. I get 64kbit/s without any time outs.

I've also tested a ZyXEL omni.net TA with same results. Runs fine
at single link, but gets time outs with multilink

--
Gunnar Flygt, Postmaster SR