Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:02:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@collinsworth.info>
To:        Tom Beer <mailings@analogon.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amanda - inetd

You'll find more folks with amanda experience on the amanda-users
list than on freebsd-security.  See www.amanda.org for info.

The question you're asking resolves into 'I want to run a network
service on this machine without using inetd.'  The typical solution
to this is to write a long-running daemon, a-la named or dhcpd,
but amandad is not written that way.  It expects to be called from
inetd.  The shell script outline someone else offered does not work
because it fails to recognize the whole point of your question, that
amandad wants to be started from inetd.  What you're asking to do
is probably possible to accomplish, though it seems excessively
paranoid IMHO.  If this is a firewall box you could run inetd with
just the amandad entry and locked to only allow access from the
amanda server.  Ruling that out the easiest answer is to put a tape
drive directly on this box and run its backups directly to local
tape.

If you really want to go the way you're asking about then you need
to figure out how long the backup window is, and use a cron job to
kill pppd and start inetd for the duration of your backup window,
and then kill inetd and re-start pppd afterward.  The actual duration
of the backup run will vary from one day to the next depending on
what else the amanda server is doing, and whether this machine is
getting a level 0 or a higher level dump run.  But you pretty much
have to use inetd since the amanda server will contact the backup
client several times for various functions over the course of a
single day's backup run, even if you're only backing up a single
filesystem.

-Mitch