Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 01:10:59 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: only 8 chars of password needed to login

This is not a problem with your machine at all.  ALL *nix's that I have
ever worked with only allow 8 character passwords.  This is an old
standard.  I take back that all *nix's I have ever worked with were limited
to only 8 character passwords...I have worked with some that have been
tweaked.  Most people do not mess with this for backward
compatibility.  The 8 character passworrd has been adopted from the "old"
UNIXes of the day.  Its been that way for years.  Im not claiming to be all
knowledgeable but I am pretty sure I am mostly accurate.

Jim

At 09:48 PM 4/3/00 -0700, Bhishan Hemrajani wrote:
>I have a problem with user's passwords on my
>system. I'm not sure if it is an error in my
>setting up FreeBSD, or a security hole.
>
>What happens is, I set a password for a user
>that is 10chars long. But, when I login, I can
>just enter 8chars and anything after that, or just
>the 8chars and it will let me log in.
>
>This also happens with su and the root password.
>
>My hunch is that I should use a different
>encryption scheme for /etc/master.passwd
>
>However, I don't know how to do that.
>
>I am running:
>FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE on a p90.
>
>When I installed FreeBSD with sysinstall, I told
>it "yes" to install the md5 encryption package
>(I believe it was md5, I'm not quite sure)
>And I installed all the encryption packages
>available.
>
>Please help me solve this problem.
>
>--bhishan

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"