Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:22:32 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ``make depend'' fails on latest wine(1) source

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 01:41:12AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 11:56:24PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:

> > There's the problem:  for some reason they added a line
> >
> > 	.SUFFIXES:
> >

> Ah, I wondered about that line but just assumed that it was benign,
> obviously not.

Well for *their* make it surely is, but its not what you can call
portable...

> > to their Makefiles (actually Make.rules.in, from where it ends up
> > getting copied into every Makefile).  Now you can either add
> >
> > 	USE_GMAKE=     yes
> >

> I thought about that too but all previous versions of wine I have
> built with the real make(1).

 Yea, i went for the remove too.

> > in the port Makefile, as thats the make they (linux) appear to be
> > using (which seems to interpret this empty .SUFFIXES: as `reset to
> > default suffixes' not `forget about all suffixes' as ours does)
> > or you can simply disable the line.  Or you can just apply the port
> > update i submitted today and build from that, it includes a bunch
> > of other fixes you'd also like to have.
> >

> GROAN!!
>
> I checked the PR database to see if anyone had already done this
> but found nothing.

 Well you should have found my 990815 wine port update, it contains
the Make.rules.in patch too.

>  Checking out your PR I see you submitted it less
> than an hour after I looked (why can't you work faster ;-) ).

 :)

> OK, I'll apply your patches. Thanks:)
>
> P.S. Could you possibly e-mail them to me in plain ASCII text? The
> last time I saved the HTML page of a PR (with a previous version of
> wine as it happens) the patches failed and I had to apply them by
> hand. I guess Netscrape screws up the formatting.

 Hmm.  Don't know about netscrape but at least if you

	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=13952

you should get the un-screwed-up html.  Of course you then still have
to un-escape the &amp; &lt; &gt; characters in the patch but after that
it *should* apply...

 But i'll send it to you off-list anyway.

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)