Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>, Juergen Lock <nox@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Change in loader or kernel: won't boot with kfreebsd in grub2

I could see what happens if I try to boot the FreeBSD boot partition on the hard drive using the Super Grub Disk with chainloader.

If that works, it would boot FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1, but I would see if it works.

I could also try
kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel

On my hard-drive installation, I have a lot of ports to rebuild, and then get to sysutils/grub2: see UPDATING.

But I could also build grub2 on my USB-stick installation.

I really need either a successful FreeDOS 1.1 installation on USB stick, or SysRescCD installation on USB stick, largely because either of these boot via syslinux, and then I can add things to syslinux.cfg and bootdisk.

The only MBR installation of FreeBSD that I have is 8.2 RELEASE on the old computer, which I intend to recycle in very near future, though I plan to save the hard drives (IDE/PATA).

Tom