Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:14:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        "Walter W. Hop" <walter@binity.nl>
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntop configuration issues

> > I've installed ntop on two different machines ..... a 4.0 RELEASE where it appears to work fine, and a 4.1 RELEASE where it works in interactive (command line) mode but when I try starting in web
> > mode (ntop -w) I get
> > "-w mode is disabled for security reasons"
>
> I don't know about this one; maybe in the new version the .ntop file is
> mandatory.

No, this is not a new version. Newer versions of ntop don't even work on
FreeBSD (so much for Linux compatibility).

The disabled -w mode is imposed by the FreeBSD port, in response to bug
reports that came across the BUGTRAQ list in late July.

Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/ntop/files/
and http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/73351

   - Mike