Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:35:20 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dave Raven" <dave@raven.za.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cisco/BSD auto-negotiation

Hi Dave,

  I've run into stuff like this from time to time with various interfaces
under
FreeBSD.  I've also run into it with ethernet connections under Windows.
I've also run into it with Cisco-to-Cisco gear.  For example if you dig
around
on Cisco conneciton online, you will find a known bug about connecting
Cisco 2800's to Cisco 2950 switches - Cisco had to come out with a
firmware update for the 2950 after releasing the 2800 due to ethernet
chip incompatabilities.

  The smart-aleck answer is like the old "Doctor it hurts when I do this"
"well don't do that" but it is also the right answer.  Don't use a crossover
cable in this application.

  I know it looks weird when you have a $7.95 hub you got from Goodwill
that is plugged in between a $3K Catalyst switch and a $5K 2800 but when
the customer won't pay for service on the switch to get the latest firmware
for it, that's what you have to do to keep things running for them.

  I did leave the Goodwill price tag prominently on the hub, by the way.

Ted