Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:30:47 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building cd devices

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 14:18:47 -0500, Matt of the Long Red Hair wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:
>
> > > In fact, it looks like cd1c wasn't even being created.  Just to see if it
> > > would make a difference, I tried removing cd1c before doing a `./MAKEDEV cd1`
> > > and nothing was created at all.
> > >
> > > flux# rm cd1c
> > > flux# ./MAKEDEV cd1
> > > flux# ls -l cd1*
> > > ls: No match.
> >
> > What version is your MAKEDEV? Actually, doing 'cd0' _or_ 'cd1' should
> > create both the cd0 and cd1 devices. Try a,
> >
> >    sh -x MAKEDEV cd1
>
> Hrm.. okay, this gave me a thought.  It looks like the last world I built
> didn't update MAKEDEV.  I was running this, whis is probably from 4.0-R:

The difference is here:

> + [ 0 -lt 1 ]

versus:

> + [ 0 -le 1 ]

The old version would give you cd0 -> cd(N-1), the new version gives you
cd0 -> cdN when you type 'sh MAKEDEV cdN'.

> However, I'm still having the original problem that led me to all of this...
> that my CD-R doesn't seem to be accessible to my burn software.  Here's my
> current dmesg info for the CDs:
>
> cd0 at sym0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> cd0: <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:463 1.05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
>
> cd1 at sym0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> cd1: <YAMAHA CDR102 1.01> Removable Worm SCSI-2 device
> cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
> cd1: cd present [314413 x 2048 byte records]
>

> Now, my CDR102 works great if it's cd0 (I've put it there by disabling
> scanning of target 5 in my SCSI BIOS).  However, running as cd1 it can't be
> detected by my burn software (cdrecord).  This leads me to believe that there
> are still some devices missing.
>
> Maybe this is getting away from a FreeBSD issue now and into more of an
> application issue, but I can't really tell where the line is, here... whether
> the software can't detect the drive because of some bug, or because some
> device it's looking for isn't present.

Make sure you have enough pass(4) devices.  First, see which pass device is
attached to your CD-R:

camcontrol devlist

Then see if you can access that pass device:

camcontrol tur cd1

If not, make sure /dev/passN exists.  If not:

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV passM
(where M == N + 1)

Ken