Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 22:31:18 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Application Development (fwd)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Thats the 60k line of codes question: What do we need to entice people
> > to write applications and/or can someone come up with a long list
> > of applications so that when new volunteers come on board they
> > could at least have an idea of whats needed?
> >
> > 	Amancio
>
> A GUI builder so that all they have to do is fill in case statements
> with calls to their code.
>
> A decent visual debugger.  For instance, in the MS debugger, if you
> let the pointer sit on a variable on the screen for a second, it will
> display the value of the variable.
>
> The ability to click on compilation error mesages and go to the offending
> line of code (with the offending portion(s) of the statement highlighted.
>
> A "colorized" editor (a friend of mine keeps threatening to "colorize"
> vi ... he must have Ted Turner in his family tree somewhere.  8-)).
>

> A market for the finished products so that the investment/reward ratio
> is somewhere near that for Windows.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Ok, ok - I'll try to do what I can. I have a feeling I will learn many
things I haven't otherwise. Could some just fish out a reference to a
real RDBMS (no toys - I mean something like Oracle, Gupta, Informix,
etc.) running on FreeBSD so that I would not have to throw it out of my
server and replace it with Windows NT or OS/2 when the money for the
database arrives (and it will).

	Sander

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)