Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:56:11 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com>
Cc:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+ driver or hardware?

On 2001-Jan-08 10:18:40 +0000, Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com> wrote:
>> The other cards connected to the hub are a mixture of 10 and 100 cards
>> (3Com 905B, LinkSys LNE100TX, 3Com 509). All of these work fine.
>
>Funny, as I've got a quite similar problem. During high network
>throughput (about 50mbit/s) one of my boxes just dies. This is why it
>always crashes when doing backups and I had to put the backup computer
>to 10mbit half-duplex mode to get it work...

Just to add a further data-point: I have a Dell OptiPlex GXi
(Pentium-133 with 96MB RAM) that had 3 genuine PRO/100+ cards.  It
used to regularly lock up (to the point where NMI had no effect) under
load (disk+network+CPU).  Replacing the PRO/100+ associated with the
multiplexed interrupt with a DEC DE500 (21143) solved the problem.  I
initially ran into the problem with 3.4-STABLE last February.  I can't
recall if I re-checked after I installed 4.x on the machine.

I wound up switching to feeding all the relevant networks via a VLAN
trunk into a single PRO/100+ and haven't had any problems since.

Peter