Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:47:13 -0800
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win2k, FreeBSD, Small Home Network, Router

Dominic Marks wrote:

> The FreeBSD machine is now at 192.168.1.2 and the Win2k machine is now at
> 192.168.1.1 However still no progress. I've tried pinging each way and
> telnetting to the FreeBSD machine, but with no luck.
>
> Some further queries:
> The Win2k machine is set with its gateway as itself, is this correct?

No, but to ping the FreeBSD box, I think it does not matter,
you will have to change the default route when you try to reach
a host outside your local network and in this case should point
to the FreeBSD computer.

> Is the default FreeBSD netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> Is this:
>
> # ifconfig vr0 192.168.1.2
>
> the correct way to bind an IP to a NIC under FreeBSD?

you can always check the result of this command with:

ifconfig -a

and this will print the configuration of all your nic's.

Hope this help

raymundo