Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 01:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: q: changing volume w/ mpg123

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>hi.  i'm using mpg123 on my freebsd box to play mp3 files through a
>soundblaster 16.  i'd like to change the volume using the '-g' (gain)
>option, however, i get the following error:

>> mpg123 -g 1000 A\ Team\ -\ Theme\ Song.mp3
>High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
>Version 0.59k (1997/07/13). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
>Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
>THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

>Playing MPEG stream from A Team - Theme Song.mp3 ...
>MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz joint-stereo
>audio/gain: Can't get audio device features list.
>audio/gain: Can't get audio device features list.

>i'm writing the freebsd-questions list because i believe that the
>problem may be with the freebsd driver for the soundblaster 16.

>any suggestions?

I am wondering if you are using the port for mp123 or not; I know that
there are various small incompatibilities between the Linux and
FreeBSD (VoxWare/OSS/Luigi) drivers, so it's possible that your
version of mp123 doesn't understand the drivers it is talking to.  If
you are using the port, this should not be the problem, but if you
built it from scratch or are using a Linux binary, it might.

If it is the driver, you might want to try Luigi's sound code (pcm0).
It is supposed to be much better (and much more supported).

Another thing you could try is OSS's drivers,
http://www.4front-tech.com/.  They're commercial, but you can try them
for 7 days for free.
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/