Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 21:00:19 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Kenneth Merry <ken@gt.ed.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P6 Natoma chipset

>> I'm going to be buying a 200MHz Pentium Pro and motherboard (probably
>> a dual-CPU) in the next week or two.  I know the Orion chipset has
>> some nasty bugs (like the 4MB/s PCI bus speed).

>	That particular Orion bug only affected the pre-B0 steppings of the
>chipset.  From Rod Grimes: (7/17/96, freebsd-hardware)
>=====
>One more time....
>Chip sets belowing stepping B0 have a PCI bus mastering bug that prevents
>data tranfer rates to reach much beyond 4.4MB/s on the PCI bus.  There
>is a fundemental flaw in the design of the chipset/CPU interface logic
>as well, that will never be fixed which has a significant impact on
>CPU/Memory bandwidth.
>=====

Read the last sentence again.  Actually, what you quote says that
there is a design deficiency which will never be fixed in the Orion
chipset.

The Orion chipset just makes me nervous...  I'll go with the Natoma.

>	The SuperMicro P6DNF looks pretty spiffy, too, but I'd rather have
>more PCI slots.  (One of the ASUS boards has 5, and the other 6 usable PCI
>slots.)  Also, the ASUS boards have NCR SCSI bios, which would be nice to
>have.

I just ordered one.  We'll see how spiffy it is in a week or so. :-)

>	Has anyone seen the Pentium Pro chips with the 512K L2 cache?  The
>only place I've seen them advertised is ALR.

No...  I have a feeling they would be obscenely expensive if you could
find them.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.