Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:33:17 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking local port hacks?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:05:16PM -0500, Rob Ellis wrote:
> We sometimes find it necessary to make some small change to
> a port before installing it, and need a way to track/merge
> these changes as ports are updated. Is there a recommended
> way of doing that?
>
> The cvsup faq (http://www.cvsup.org) suggests that it's
> possible to get sources in "cvs mode" and it has some
> suggestions for managing a local branch. Is that the best
> way to do it? Anyone know how BIG the ports tree is if we
> get it via cvsup in "cvs mode"?

Using cvsup to maintain a copy of the whole (or part of the) CVS
repository, and then using cvs to check out the branch/version you want
is certainly one way to do it.  Cvs (unlike cvsup) understands local
changes and can merge changed files (assuming the changes don't
conflict of course, then you have to do some editing by hand.)

I don't know if it is the *best* way of doing it, but it is the way I
do it and it works fairly well.

The ports part of the CVS repository uses around 600MB of disk space.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson