Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:13:30 +0800
From:      Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating a 4.2-STABLE iso

Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> > Is there a HOWTO or a FAQ somewhere that I am missing?  I would like to
> > make a iso of 4.2 STABLE to save time instead of cvsupping a bunch of
> > systems.   Granted this works great but it is more time consuming that I
> > would like.
>
> Basically, just read /usr/src/release/Makefile for the targets/make
> variables to use when making a release and then make one.  You'll
> get disc1 and disc2 directories ready to feed to mkhybrid and away
> you go - very simple.
>
> - Jordan

It's not that simple if you want to include your own patches (i did this
for pre-configured boxes mainly).

You have to remember that your patches files should include patches to
/usr/src/release/Makefile in order to be taken into account, because of
the chroot'ed environment and the way the build script pulls everything
out with CVS ...

I assumed i did not want to commit anything, and did not have time to
fiddle into the CVS configuration files (i'm really not a CVS guy) in
order to avoid advertize them to the world and sending mails to cvs-all.
:-)

The result is quite impressive, though. Setting up a box in our offices
around the world is a matter of minutes. I have to give you warm thanks
for that !

I'm just missing an easy way to include pre-compiled packages in the
cdrom without a manual download of the newest packages.
--
Erwan Arzur
NetValue ltd.