Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:19:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Roger W." <spiffer@eclipse.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   printer problems using 3.4RC kernel

Hello everyone,

I've just finished cvsup'ing 3.3-stable, to bring my 3.3-Release system up
to date.  Everything went fine and seems to be working except for my laser
jet printer.  Its a NEC SuperScript 870 which emulates to a HPLJ IIP.  The
printer gets recognized fine during bootup and everthing appears to be OK
until I try to send roughly more than 1 page of data to it.  The page can
be sent by cat 'filename' | lpr, using a2ps, or just dumping from a
webpage with html, it doesn't seem to matter.  What happens is I only get
a small amout of data on each page, and then the next page is sucked into
the printer and again only a small amount of data is placed on it.  I am
using apsfilter as the printers textfilter.

I compared my boot logs with the new kernel to the GENERIC 3.3R kernel I
was using previously, and there isn't a bit of difference in them.  All I
did was eliminate devices that weren't getting found anyways.  I'm sure it
has to do with the kernel, or its config, as if I boot off my old GENERIC
kernel my printer functions properly.

The one thing I've noticed is when the printer is working correctly, there
is significantly more delay from when I send the printjob to the printer,
and when it starts printing.  Booting off of the kernel I compiled, there
is almost no delay between when I tell the system to print, and when the
printer starts to suck in the paper and print out small portions of what
it should be printing spread out over many pages.

If anyone else is seeing this problem and has any ideas, I would love to
hear them.

thank you,

Roger