Date:      Sat, 16 May 2015 10:22:45 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jeffry Killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: configuration script?

On Fri, 15 May 2015 21:12:30 -0700, Jeffry Killen wrote:
> Thank you; The old gui tool was called sysconfig(?). But I will give the
> new one a tryout.

It was called sysinstall. You can compare the difference
in appearance and functionality by having a loot at the
corresponding handbook chapters:

Up to FreeBSD 8 -> sysinstall

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html

FreeBSD 9 and later -> bsdinstall

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/using-bsdinstall.html

Even though it's still possible to do configuration tasks
right after installation (and still being in "installation
mode"), most users seem to prefer booting the newly installed
system and then continuing configuring it, or adding software
via ports or pkg.

Regarding ports and the new pkg system, I recommend having
a look at the relevant chapters:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/pkgng-intro.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-using.html

It's different from using CVS and pkg_add et al., but it will
accomplish the same functional results, and more. And easier. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany