Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:32:19 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

> :
> :Personally, I have to side with Matt.
> :I like to have ALL of the files in one directory.
> :That way I can "grep ntpd /etc/rc*" and find ALL the line that are likely
> :to affect it. Moving some of the files into another directory just
> :complicates things.
> :
> :I like the idea of having all the "default knobs" in one file.
> :I recommend /etc/rc.conf.defaults
>
>     I like this idea ( /etc/rc.conf.defaults ) better then
>     /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

As Jordan pointed out, this gets very messy very quickly.

>     I don't think we should have an /etc/defaults/ directory, but if
>     it is insisted on then *ALL* the read-only files should be moved into
>     it, not just one of them.

All of the files that currently mix read-only and read-write data
will, ideally, be split so that the read-only content goes into
/etc/defaults, and the "local changes" stay in /etc.  The next big
candidate for this is make.conf, but that will require careful testing
first.