Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 1998 15:50:49 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beware! -current under SMP is "not looking good".

Peter Wemm wrote:
> The latest time commit has busted -current under SMP.  I'm not sure of the
> exact circumstances, but it causes a hang when ntpdate is run.  The process
> sits in the "running" state but doesn't gain any cpu time.  Trying to break
> into DDB causes a deadlock.

It seems that doing a 'setpriority()' is the last thing that happens
before the hang with ntpdate.  I wonder if the posix4 stuff is having an
effect here?

> The code just prior to this was also broken.  select() wasn't working
> properly, although there is evidence that something _else_ is causing it
> and select is just the scapegoat.  It looks like interruptable sleeps are
> not being interrupted by signals somehow.  (sigalrm and siginfo at least
> were being blocked for the duration of the select()).
>
> Other funny things were happening too, eg: cron will not run jobs on my
> system when built from an april 2 kernel.

This was from the bug added to nanosleep() that caused it to fail and
return EAGAIN/EWOULDBLOCK on a successful sleep and caused sleep(3) to
fail.

Cheers,
-Peter
--