Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:47:15 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inconsistent IO performance

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:06:58 +0800
> From: TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
>

> > > Maybe there is a hardware component here? Are both disks on the same
> > > controller? Or if not are both controllers using the same interrupt line?
> >
> > No. Each is on its one controller and is the only disk on that
> > controller.
> >
> > > You should have a look at 'systat -vmstat' with dd running in the
> > > background. That might give a clue as to where the bottleneck is.
> >

> You're using a laptop with 2 HDDs, so does that mean you're using the
> Ultrabay for the 2nd HDD?
> Perhaps anything connected to that drops down to ATA33 (pure speculation on
> my part) since it was designed for optical drives ...dmesg/atacontrol logs
> would be useful here.
>
> You may want to try dd with the of=/dev/null instead to remove the 2nd
> variable and benchmark solely the read speed of the 1st hdd.

For this test I get a very consistent 34.75 MB. (1000 10M
blocks). Distressingly low when there is almost no seek activity.

Nope, it is running at UDMA100 using a SATA-PATA converter. (The ICH6
controller is SATA.) But that was a good idea.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)