Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:49:48 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scanners, emulators and VueScan

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008, Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
>Problem: I have a film scanner whose sane support is somewhat incomplete.
>There is a commercial piece of software called VueScan, which reportedly can
>do what I need. It can be had as either a Windows or Linux binary. It does
>not use sane on Linux, but apparently implements its own set of drivers via
>libusb. Rather than install another OS and boot into it to do the scanning,
>I was wondering if I can make it work with any kind of emulation. If I do
>not load uscanner, my scanner will appear just as a ugen device. Can I then
>have the device passed through to VueScan and usable by it with:

You might want to contact Ed Hamrick <EdHamrick@aol.com>, author
of VueScan.  He has been very helpful to me when I had questions
about it.

I got VueScan for Mac OS X Tiger when I had to replace a bad hard
drive on my Mac Mini and the HP drivers I had been using were no
longer available (let's not go into backups shall we :-).  The
support has been good, and it does what I need.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress. -- Frederick Douglass.