Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:37:49 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gabor@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: localized man pages

----Security_Multipart(Sat_Oct_27_00_37_49_2007_323)--

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <4721FFC5.9070505@FreeBSD.org>:

ga> I have a volunteer, who is going to send me Hungarian man page
ga> translations. I've noticed that Japanese people have some old translated
ga> man pages in the doc repository, but I'd rather commit the pages into
ga> src so that we can have the appropriate versions for our branches in the
ga> future. I like the idea of making some progress about a more wide
ga> language support by translating the manpages to Hungrian, so please give
ga> me an idea how I can do it in the src repo, where should they go.
ga> (Ruslan, our mdoc guru is CC'd.)

 Before adding non-English manual page, we need i18n support of man,
 nroff, and pager at least.  Japanese old manual pages depend on
 Japanized tools such as japanese/man and japanese/groff (and not
 actively maintained these days...).  It makes putting them into the
 src tree difficult.

 Since groff's i18n support is still poor, I personally think we
 should adopt UTF-8-capable toolchain if possible.  I have surveyed
 such tools some time ago and found textproc/heirloom-doctools would
 be a promising one.  It is from OpenSolaris (i.e. CDDL'd) and
 supports UTF-8 output.  I am not sure compatibility of roff macro
 between the groff and the heirloom-doctools, though.