Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Tracy <stevet@acs.stritch.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can I find more information?

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Steve Tracy wrote:

> I am trying to find more technical/administrative information on FreeBSD
> such as what are the size limitations on available filesystems,

None known.  There is a 2GB limit on filesize tho.

> can swap be spread across multiple disks,

Absolutely.

> what are the steps necessary to set up a system with two NIC's so that
> one NIC is connected to our campus network and the other is used to
> connect 4 FreeBSD systems together to share NIS, NFS, and other
> information,

Insert cards, plug in minihub, set gateway=yes, enjoy?

http://www.realtime.net/sculpture/nis-startup.html

www.apache.org is a good start for web-related bits.

> how many users/ processes per RAM, CPU, DISK, NIC, etc...

Huh?

> I have a LOT of questions :)  Although I would love to have someone who
> could answer all of these questions for me, I think it would be better
> if someone could point me to a good source, or several good sources, of
> information in any format (web, print, email, etc.).

Obviously, a good start is http://www.freebsd.org, particuarly the
Documentation and Search links.

Secondly is ``The Complete FreeBSD'' by our own Greg Lehey.  You can buy
it through Walnut Creek.

> For anyone interested in why I have so many questions, I'm putting
> together an Internet solution at our university to replace a DEC Alpha
> 3000 and the systems that we are looking at getting are four Dual Pentium
> II 333Mhz (we'll just use the one processor until a release version of
> FreeBSD with SMP comes out), 512MB RAM, four 4.5GB UltraWide SCSI drives
> connected to an Adaptec 3940UW controller, two SMC 10/100 PCI NIC's and 1
> 8mm SCSI Tape drive to be used among the four systems probably using
> amanda or a custom solution.  Our DEC Alpha will be kept on as a PPP and
> DNS server and possibly as the Master NIS server.

Wahoo!  :)