Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:48:34 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Questions

In the last episode (Feb 13), Kathy Quinlan said:
> Hi all a few questions.
>
> #1 I have recompiled my kernel and now get these messages on boot up, and
> would like to get rid of them:
>
> Feb 13 02:30:21 serverbsd /kernel: config> di sn0
> Feb 13 02:30:22 serverbsd /kernel: No such device: sn0
> Feb 13 02:30:22 serverbsd /kernel: Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help

I think this stuff is in /boot/kernel.conf.  If it's all "disable"
lines, you can just delete the file.

> #2 I currently have a 773mb hdd which is nearly full due to new
> kernel, if I was to add a 4.3 GB to the box, can I shift my /usr over
> easily (it is a netserver also running netatalk). Can I also resize
> the / partition to fill the hole left by /usr ?

Moving /usr is easy; first newfs and mount the new drive onto a
termporary mountpoint (say /usr2), then move /usr into /usr2, then
dismount and remount the new drive onto the now-empty /usr directory.

Resizing / is considerably harder; the standard solution is to backup,
repartition, and restore.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com