Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:14:22 -0300
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which file can I find the error message that shows on the screen when I build my kernel?

On Sunday 22 June 2008 15:03:33 dhuang2@cs.usfca.edu wrote:
> Hi:
> I have make some changes to the kernel files and rebuild the kernel, but
> when I rebuild the kernel, it show some errors and stop rebuild. The
> question I want  ask is that: Is there any file that store all these error
> message, If there is, where can I find it?
> Because there are too many errors occur, I can't see all the errors on the
> screen, if there is a file that store these error messages, then I can
> find all the errors and fixed them.
> Thanks!
> Best Wishes

The Best of FreeBSD Basics by Dru Lavigne; pg43/44; Reed Media Services

open your terminal and issue: "csh -i | tee nameoffile"

what does that mean?
well .. youll get a new prompt and everything that goes on, on that propmt,
will be piped to "tee" which will "record everything" on "nameoffile"

When done, press Ctrl-D
then "cat nameoffile" to view your session.

Example:

You can often get answers to your questions about FreeBSD by searching in the
FreeBSD mailing list archives at

        http://www.FreeBSD.org/search/search.html
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% csh -i | tee recording
To read a compressed file without having to first uncompress it, use
"zcat" or "zmore" to view it.
                -- Dru <genesis@istar.ca>
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% cd /usr/ports/
[gonzalo@inferna /usr/ports]% make quicksearch name=linux-doom3
Port:   linux-doom3-1.3.1.1304,1
Info:   Doom III for Linux

Port:   linux-doom3-demo-1.1.1286_1
Info:   DOOM III demo for Linux

[gonzalo@inferna /usr/ports]% exit
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% cat recording
To read a compressed file without having to first uncompress it, use
"zcat" or "zmore" to view it.
                -- Dru <genesis@istar.ca>
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% cd /usr/ports/
[gonzalo@inferna /usr/ports]% make quicksearch name=linux-doom3
Port:   linux-doom3-1.3.1.1304,1
Info:   Doom III for Linux

Port:   linux-doom3-demo-1.1.1286_1
Info:   DOOM III demo for Linux

[gonzalo@inferna /usr/ports]% exit
[gonzalo@inferna ~]%

That's way better to store just the error messages (which can be easily
redirected STDERR to a file using ">& nameoffile" under csh or "2>
nameoffile" under bash) beacause you'll be recording your whole sessions
instead of just the errors ;)

Now be a good citizen, go to freebsdmall.com, buy the book and subscribe to
Freebsd starting with version 7.0 ... ;)

Thanks Dru, for your book sits on besides my computer now, and it will not
move from there for a really long time :)

Hope it helps :)
--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi